The more I keep up with the blogs of my friends, the more I realize that my posts have been ... well, sporadic. But maybe, if your reading has been the same, then we're even?
Here's one of two videos taken by our friend Maria (I don't believe Patrick took these guys ... remember, this was taken a few hours after the poisoned dish. That meal and its aftermath is now part of staff room parlance and non-joiners are equally well-versed in the weekend's misadventure).
I apologize for its ... sideways-ness. Until Quicktime lets me upgrade to the Professional edition for free, there's not too much I can do about it. I think that it gives the general feeling of new year's chaos on the ground, though.
Note the dangerous proximity the fireworks and apartment building - this was far from the exception that night. In fact, I discovered when I was browsing nytimes.com today that one of Beijing's skyline features, a hotel that (luckily) has yet to open, was thoroughly burned by an errant 'work. The fireworks that caused the blaze were part of an illegal show, the story says.
Judging by safety practices we witnessed, I don't think many of these 'shows' are concerned with legality until major damage like this has occurred.
No comments:
Post a Comment